Required Online Training FAQs
Frequently Asked Questions
Why am I required to take the online training?
As an employee in our workplace, you are required to complete certain training annually. As state law, federal law, and/or college policy mandate this training, the College is required to insure that all covered individuals complete it. The College therefore considers this training to be a condition of employment. The College will view the failure to complete this training as an act of insubordination that may result in disciplinary action.
How often do I have to take the online training?
The Office of Human Resources will release the training in three phases to reduce the volume of required training at any given time. Everyone must complete the assigned training within 25 days of its release, and every year thereafter in the early spring semester (January/February). New Hires will receive the trainings once they have a sunysccc email and are on payroll. New hires must complete the training within two weeks from the time they receive the email with the training links.
The required courses include:
- Sexual Harassment: Staff to Staff for New York
- Title IX and Sexual Misconduct
- Active Shooter: Run, Hide, Fight
- FERPA: Confidentiality of Records
- Workplace Violence: Awareness & Prevention (Employee)
- Child Abuse: Mandatory Reporting
- Hazard Communications – Right to Understand
- Browser Security Basics
- Cybersecurity Overview
- Email and Messaging Safety
- Password Security Basics
- Protection Against Malware
How long will it take to complete each of the online trainings?
The duration for the online trainings are as follows:
- Active Shooter: Run, Hide, Fight - Duration: 15 minutes
- Browser Security - Duration: 17 minutes
- Child Abuse: Mandatory Reporting - Duration: 24 minutes
- Cybersecurity Overview - Duration: 15 minutes
- Email and Messaging Safety - Duration: 14 minutes
- FERPA: Confidentiality of Records - Duration: 15 minutes
- Hazard Communications – Right to Understand - Duration: 26 minutes
- Password Security Basics - Duration: 10 minutes
- Protection Against Malware - Duration: 17 minutes
- Sexual Harassment: Staff to Staff for New York - Duration: 42 minutes
- Title IX and Sexual Misconduct - Duration: 27 minutes
- Workplace Violence: Awareness & Prevention (Employee) - Duration: 20 minutes
How often will I receive reminder emails to take the online training?
Employees will receive one weekly email reminder in their email inbox until the trainings are completed.
Why have I not received the email with the online training links yet?
If you did not receive the email with the training links, it is because you have not been put on the college’s payroll yet. Once you are on the college’s payroll, you will receive the email with the training links the Wednesday after you are put on payroll. An automatic file is sent to Safe Colleges every Wednesday with all employees that are on payroll.
What is the link to the training if I cannot find the email with the training links?
If I did not receive the training email since I am not on payroll yet, do I get an extension to complete the training?
If you did not receive the email with the training links because you have not been put on the college’s payroll yet, you will get a two-week extension/grace period to complete the trainings.
Can the Safe Colleges system send the email with the training links to my personal email address?
The email with the training links can only go to a sunysccc issued email address. If you do not have a sunysccc email address, please contact your supervisor. Your supervisor will need to complete a Computer Usage Form and submit it to the Office of Human Resources.
Do I need to retake the training if I do not pass the test at the end of the training?
If you do not pass the assessment test with an 80, you will just have to retake the assessment test until you pass with the minimum score of 80. You do not need to retake the whole training. You will have unlimited tries until you get the minimum grade requirement.
Do I need to submit the certificates that I received for completing the training to the Office of Human Resources?
You do not need to submit the completed training certificates to the Office of Human Resources. You can keep a copy for your records. The Office of Human Resources can see if you completed the trainings in the Safe Colleges system.
I have a question that is not covered in this FAQ’s document. What should I do?
If you have questions regarding the online training, please contact the Office of Human Resources at: HumanResources@sunysccc.edu.