Skip to main contentSkip to main navigationSkip to footer content

U.S. Student Visas

Image of a US student visa.International students must have one of two visa types in order to study in the United States. A J-1 visa is for students and scholars visiting the United States for one semester or one academic year. An F-1 visa is for international students who wish to matriculate at the College and receive a degree from SUNY Schenectady County Community College. You will work with Schenectady County Community College’s Designated SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) Officer to secure all documentation you will need to apply for your visa. Once you have been accepted to SUNY Schenectady County Community College and have all appropriate documentation, you must set up an appointment with the U.S. Consulate nearest you to apply for your J-1 or F-1 visa, before you leave for the United States.

For more information regarding U.S. Visas you may visit the U.S. Department of State website.

Undocumented Youth

Use these resources to help you prepare to apply for consideration of deferred action for childhood arrivals with USCIS: