Nanoscale Science Concentration
The Mathematics and Science A.S. Nanoscale Science Concentration, prepares graduates to transfer into the interdisciplinary fields of nanoscale science and nanoscale engineering by providing a well-rounded education containing a solid foundation in mathematics, science, and nanoscale materials.
This A.S. program is specifically designed for students wishing to transfer to the College of Nanoscale Science and Engineering (CNSE) in Albany. Students maintaining a grade point average of 3.3 or higher may cross-register for courses at CNSE during their second year.
The program prepares graduates to:
Goal I: Demonstrate fundamental critical reasoning skills necessary in nanotechnology.
- Apply reasoning skills to solve scientific and mathematical problems
- Analyze nanoscale phenomena using appropriate scientific and mathematical models
- Analyze and evaluate hypotheses
Goal II: Utilize analytical tools necessary to explore, discover, innovate, and document while cementing fundamental knowledge in mathematics, science, and nanoscale science.
- Use scientific principles to explain nanoscale phenomena
- Apply a scientific understanding of atomic scale behaviors and properties of matter
- Organize and maintain clear, concise and accurate laboratory reports and notebooks
Goal III: Prepare students for further rigorous study in the pursuit of scientific, technical or professional careers in nanotechnology fields.
- Demonstrate a quantitative mastery of the fundamental nature of nanoscale interactions
- Extrapolate mathematical or scientific principles for the solution of problems