Academic Program Planning
I'm not sure I'm in the right program for me!
Selecting a program of study (major) can be a difficult and confusing decision. Maintaining academic motivation may be a struggle for students who are uncertain about their program of study. Please refer to the following resources to help you explore your decision:
- Read the College Catalog for descriptions of the different programs and courses available.
- Use electives as a way to explore possible options.
- Call the Academic Advising Center at 518-381-1277 and leave a message to speak with an Academic Advisor.
- Visit the Opportunity Zone for Career Services in Elston Hall, Room 222, and work with career coaches and peer mentors to assist you in moving your ideas to meaningful actions. Call 518-836-2807 or just stop by.
- Call Student Activities at 518-381-1335 to find out about clubs, organizations and other activities available on campus. Focus on those activities that are related to your areas of interest.
- Talk to other students who are majoring in programs you are considering.
- Talk to division deans and faculty members in all areas you are considering.
- Talk to people currently employed in an area in which you are interested.
- Meet with your advisor frequently to discuss your thoughts and ask additional questions.
- Academic Status Change forms may also be obtained from the Registrar’s Office once the decision is made to change a program or add on a secondary program. The student will then go to Academic Advising to discuss the change and obtain the necessary signature.