Skip to main contentSkip to main navigationSkip to footer content

Disability Resources

The Office of ADA Transition Services (i.e., disability resources and services) uses a collaborative model to develop accommodations and learning strategies for students with permanent and temporary disabilities. We coordinate resources and create partnerships to foster an inclusive environment that is accessible and welcoming for all.

How to Obtain Academic Accommodations

Students who would like to request academic accommodations should register for disability resources and services with Susanna Adams. Appointments to meet with her can be set up via e-mail at, by phone at 518-381-1345, or in person in Elston Hall, Room 222. 

When to Register for Disability Resources and Services

Students are encouraged to register for academic accommodations upon admission to SUNY Schenectady. However, sometimes disability-related barriers are not discovered until after coursework has begun. Students should not hesitate to discuss accommodations at any point in time if they begin to realize that accommodations may make their classes more educationally accessible to them.

Disability Documentation

Documentation that students submit may vary depending upon a person's disability. This documentation helps to guide the discussion about accommodations and strategies that can be developed in light of the disability-related barriers that students may face in the educational environment. It is helpful for new high school graduates to provide their IEPs and school psychologists' reports. Other helpful documentation includes medical records relevant to the accommodations requested, a neuropsychological report, a letter from a therapist, a letter from a diagnosing physician, etc. It may also be valuable for students to ask their diagnostic service provider to complete and submit SUNY Schenectady's Disability Certification Packet.

Developing Accommodations

Each student is impacted differently by a disability. Consequently, accommodations are generated by discussion, a review of disability documentation, and a joint venture in creative problem solving. It should be noted that accommodations that were provided at previous schools are not automatically transferred to SUNY Schenectady since guidelines vary from institution to institution.

To learn about the supports for pregnant and parenting students visit the Title IX page.

Campus Physical Accessibility

SUNY Schenectady is committed to providing an accessible campus. The college is actively working to identify barriers to increase the accessibility of our campus. Should you have any questions, concerns, or suggestions for improving the physical accessibility of our campus, please call 518-381-1345 or email

Electronic Information Technology (EIT) Accessibility Plan

At SUNY Schenectady, we have aligned our campus accessibility standards with the SUNY Policy and the Final Report to ensure that we provide the most accessible EIT services to our students, faculty, and staff, as well as to all members of the public who utilize our services or programming.

Additional Information: SUNY Electronic & Information Technology (EIT) Accessibility 

Request an Emergency Evacuation Plan

It is important to be as prepared as possible when an emergency arises on campus. Planning ahead is important for persons with disabilities who may need more time or assistance during an emergency evacuation. It may be important to get input from campus experts when developing your evacuation plan. The Office of ADA Transition Services along with Campus Safety, can assist you with planning for an emergency evacuation from your classrooms and buildings. Please call 518-381-1345 or email for more information.

Service Animals

SUNY Schenectady welcomes service animals specifically trained to aid individuals with disabilities. For more information about service animals on campus, please see the Service Animal Policy.

Voter Registration Assistance

The Office of ADA Transition Services is recognized as an official voter registration site. The student who would like to register to vote can obtain assistance through this Office or can go directly to the New York state Board of Elections website to obtain information and appropriate voter registration forms.

Grievance Procedure

Our grievance procedures are designed not only to assist the student in resolving grievances, but also to enable the student and staff to resolve problems easily, and to remain in a strong working relationship.

The steps listed in our grievance procedure assume that you have registered with the Office of ADA Transition Services, have provided documentation of your disability to the Office of ADA Transition Services, and, if involving a faculty member, you have notified the instructor of the need for academic accommodations by sending them your Accommodation Notification.